How do I get started?
The Energy Improvement Loan is specifically designed to finance home energy improvement projects that are approved as part of the Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP)/Arlington County Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program. To become part of the program, you must first complete an online assessment of your home energy use and efficiency. This quick online assessment can be completed here.
Is there any cost to conduct the online assessment?
No. The online assessment is free, and will give you a high level overview of areas where you may be able to save money by investing in your home’s energy efficiency. The information you share with LEAP also helps them provide you with better advice on how to make the most cost effective improvements.
How does the rest of the process work?
Here’s how participation in the LEAP/Arlington County Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program works:
- Complete your free online survey to understand your home’s energy savings potential.
- Send LEAP your enrollment agreement for the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program (the agreement is mandatory as it allows LEAP to reserve your rebate).
- If you are already working with a contractor, let us know that on your agreement. If you are not, LEAP will have a BPI Certified Building Analyst from their network contact you about scheduling an in-home energy assessment for your home.
- Complete your in-home energy assessment and review your report findings for cost effective energy improvements. A LEAP staff professional will review the assessment report with you.
- If you are interested in financing options, apply for your Energy Improvement Loan with ACFCU. You can apply online at arlingtoncu.org, or over the phone at (703) 526-0200.
- LEAP will assign a BPI certified contractor to meet with you and go over your estimate.
- Once the installations are complete, LEAP will review the work for quality assurance. You will then be sent your Certificate and cash rebate.
- Enjoy your investment in a healthier and more comfortable home and watch the energy savings pay your dividends over the months ahead.
What types of energy improvement projects are included in the program?
The most common types of home improvement projects through the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program include air and duct sealing (very important!), replacement doors and windows, tuning up or upgrading air conditioning or heating systems, water heater replacement, increasing insulation, and geothermal systems.
What if I want to make energy improvements to my house without participating in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program?
If you want to invest in energy efficient processes for your home and do not qualify for the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, if you live outside of Arlington County, or if you just need extra money for other home improvement projects, ACFCU can finance your needs. We have several other loan programs available. Call us at (703) 526-0200 for information on other loan programs.
What are the benefits of an Arlington Community Credit Union Energy Improvement Loan compared to other loan programs?
ACFCU’s Energy Improvement Loan offers many benefits to participants of the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program not available through traditional loans:
- Obtain up to $30,000 for a single family home (manufactured homes, mobile homes and rental properties are not eligible)
- Flexible payment terms up to 20 years for qualified projects (see LEAPs Approved Improvements for definitions)
- Financing with ACFCU’s Energy Improvement Loan allows you to take advantage of any manufacturer product rebates and energy efficient federal, state or local government, or other agency tax incentives or rebates.
- Interest may be tax deductible*
- Low, fixed rates
- Equity and low or no-equity options available
- No closing costs or lengthy loan closing processes
*Consult your tax advisor for details. Appraisals are required for secure loans.